Saturday, September 30, 2023

2023 Food Tour: YOUNG, HUNGRY, & CURIOUS | Risking It All For Flan Factory + Rain Ready OOTD

                                           






















Head wrap is actually just a scarf, it is not recent

Sweater Dress: not recent

Bag: Louis Vuitton Félicie Pochette

Stuart Weitzman highland boots, similar here

Bag Apolis Market bag

Bangle: Rocksbox SLATE Evan Hinge Cuff in Gold

Kelley Bangle Bracelet In Gold: Kendra Scott 

Zorte Bangle Bracelet In Gold: Kendra Scott 

Loop Shell Earrings: C/O Ettika

                                                 Anklets: 3 different ones, C/O Ettika

Bracelet: Kendra Scott Abbie Statement in gold

Boone small cocktail ring in gold: Kendra Scott

Lipstick: MAC Nearly Nude and Fenty Glossbomb




                                       2023 Food Tour: YOUNG, HUNGRY, & CURIOUS





The Flan Factory
Historic Ybor City











Everything below pertains to my having Celiacs Disease (can not have wheat, rye, barley (gluten).

How I was served at the restaurant  and the precautions taken so that I could eat.


So, since I can not partake in delicious Cuban bread anymore I opted (which I always do at restaurants) for the bread-less version of the sandwich. Sometimes, people do not understand why I am ordering this this way, sometimes, they send it out with bread anyway assuming it was a mistake, sometimes, they send it as requested. 

Sometimes they send it without bread, but don't change gloves when they were making other sandwiches and they still end up glutening me. This is very risky. There is no good way to do this and all you can really do is explain that you have Celiacs and you are ordering the sandwich without bread because of an allergy. 

A lot of times people will not understand or know what Celiacs Disease is or know and they wont know to take it seriously or know to change gloves.

I ordered knowing there was a chance there would be cross contamination, but that is why I used my NIMA Gluten Tester. 


So, I had to test the ingredients for the Cuban sandwich three times. Two times I got gluten free and one time I got gluten found. One test could have been a false positive which is why I tested it three times.

Or, the meat on the top of the sandwich or the cheese on the top could have been cross contaminated say by someone handling Cuban bread and grabbing the pre-prepped sandwich  ingredients to place them in the container for me. As a result, I tested only the top layer and bottom layer then the middle separately. I decided it would be safe to remove the Swiss cheese and use my own at home (which was thicker anyhow) and I removed the bottom layer of ham (it had a lot of ham so removing one slice was no big deal).

I had my own gluten free Udi's Baguette at home. I used m own mayo, mustard, and dill pickles and placed my tested ingredients on the bread. I ate it!

It was amazing!!!!!

I have not had a real Cubano in about 13 or 14 years due to having Celiacs. This was the the amounts I was willing to go to just have that delicious meat and cheese combo!

I am extremely sensitive to gluten at very low levels, lower levels than what my gluten tester tests for which is 20 ppm. I did not get sick! I am not saying to do this because everyone is different, but as a Tampa Native that grew up eating Cuban sandwiches  daily, I knew that the ingredients were free of gluten, I just needed them to be given to me sans the bread and ask that they change gloves etc. They were happy to do that.

For me, it was worth it.

No one makes gluten-free Cuban bread and for me, it is sorely missed. This was magical and scary for me lol.

I can say, if I did not have my NIMA gluten tester I would have not chanced it.

Ingesting gluten is never an option for me and for those with celiacs as it can cause a complete autoimmune reaction and lead to the development  of new autoimmune issues to come; there is no cure for Celiac Disease.
















No comments:

Post a Comment