Thursday, September 14, 2023

Birthday Vacation 2023 Recap & Camera Roll: DELRAY BEACH + The Ray Hotel and Review


                         

The time I spent in Delray Beach this year was not only magical, but fierce. This is not your typical Florida area. I have spent the last six or seven years road tripping specifically in Florida and not all areas are welcoming. A lot of the areas are very segregated and I felt uncomfortable to be honest. This area I was in was in the downtown arts district which is more ecclectic and thriving. There are many people my age (Millenials) who are there, I did not really see a lot of a high racial mixture to be honest. A lot of the area is like much of Florida which is older, retired White people.

                                


The hotel I chose to stay at was the Ray Hotel which is a part of the Curio Collection. While I loved this hotel, I did notice that some people were treating us differently who worked there if you get my gist. On the whole, there were way more friendly and amazing employees that helped us than the latter! I dined at all of the restaurants at the hotel and the service met my expectations and actually exceeded them.

                         


I am saying this because Florida has a bad reputation right now right? And I just want to say, there are some areas as a Native Floridian I know not to go into, but the overall idea of Florida is that it is unsafe for Black Americans (right now) anywhere and it is not true. There is racism everywhere and you will experience micro aggressions everywhere (in any place, state, or country). 

I say this because I do not let this deter me from going to a new city in Florida. I actually feel more comfortable in South Florida because that is where I am from.  So, in all honesty, I had two to three instances where there were issues and I know it was racism against me, or against me and my husband for our interracial relationship, but on the whole, my whole experience in Delray was great.

 I would highly recommend this hotel and area if you like boutique hotels, beach, the art scene and good food! The one thing I will note is that they deter people who are not staying there from entering the main hotel period. So, you would think it would be lively and exciting, but it wasn't. Part of the lobby wasn't even open and the lights were off and the vibe was kind of weird for how busy it was, but since they were sending non-hotel patrons up an outside elevator it was just quiet (which isn't a bad thing).

                               

There are a lot of people here and the street that the Ray is on is walkable. The beach is less than 10 minutes away also! I am not much of a Miami girl and I do think this is the closest I have been to West Palm Beach. Delray offers a very similar upscale vibe that is slower paced. My time there was too short to be honest. Hotels in Florida are so much more expensive in February because that is a peak month.

                               

The restaurant scene here is growing, maybe exploding, They have so many restaurants that opened the month of my birthday and a lot more that were supposed to open later this year. I know I have to go back because I did not get to go to as many restaurants as I wanted to (because I was dining also at the hotel).

                       

Taki Omakase as by far the best omakase I have been to to this date. I have my favorites right, but this one was great, My one issue was that they didn't really know what gluten was, so they had to ask me before each course can you have this? That is easy enough and the Chef (Ben) was so great at not cross contaminating any of my food with anyone else. We were also about 8 minutes late because we got lost and they actually held back our first two courses until we got there. It was my birthday though, and we had advised them and. there was no awknowlegement of that so that kind of sucked especially because dinner was $$$.

                       

                       




ROOM TOUR


So, the rooms had a lot of options and I decided not to go with a suite because I wanted this huge balcony. I really loved the room and the design, but the walls were paper thin!


I loved the Barbie artwork also (Yay for the interracial Barbie & Ken).



So, this was my first Time staying at a Curio Collection Hotel (by Hilton) and it is low on amenities and service compared to other hotels like the Autograph Collection etc. The price is still up there though $$$ so it is like for the price I really need more service and amenities.




So, our balcony was huge because it was shared with two other rooms. Luckily, the one woman beside us never came outside and I definitely could hear why. I encountered the other rooms guest by accident, but it appeared he was already on his last day so we had this whole balcony to ourselves!






The pool


The pool restaurant 


Usually the pool restaurant isn't that great in some hotels, but this place was really really great. We ate lunch here twice and it was so worth it because they have some great happy hour deals and a nice rooftop lounge and bar.



The whole reason for my trip!!!


Dinner at Akira Back
Delray Beach


Last Winter we stayed at Hotel Ette because I wanted to go the the new Akira Back restaurant. We had such an amazing time I just had to go down to Delray and go to this restaurant that has been open longer.




So, this is the day and the restaurant I experienced the outfit racism right. I honestly don't recommend this restaurant, Lattitudes, but it wasn't because our waiter was racist. Anyhow, if you want to know what happened I wrote all about that hot mess on the main blog post for this outfit. 








During my time here I got to go to two beaches and this one was really nice, but the sand was so hot it burned my feet! I was glad to experience it, but I wouldn't return here. Like I was saying I wasn't a fan of this restaurant and the restaurant is a part of a condo/hotel which owns this beach access. The beach was lovely, but the sand in February felt like 100 degrees.
















I fell in love with this beach, Delray Beach on Atlantic Ave. For some reason it just gave vibes and quiet wealth. I didn't spend much time on the beach, I never do because I am not a fan of roasting in the sun. I was able to do some shelling and I got a lot of nice shells to bring hone. Hubs doesn't really love roasting either so you know, we do our thing and then we leave. It is as simple as that. The last time I sat on a beach for an extended amount of time I got sunburned and I was not a fan, never again.














The Ember Grill
Our last dinner in Delray


Dinner here was quick surprising! I wasn't expecting it to be all that great looking at the menu and my gluten free options, but it turned out to be a 5/5. These caviar deviled eggs were insane!

Ugh, the last dinner is always so bittersweet! For me, this month I think it was more so because I am a Winter baby and I hate Winter, I hate time changed, gray skies and the cold. For me, my birthday is always the sign that I am breaking through into Spring and I look forward to that because I need that sunshine in my life. I love to spend my birthday in Orlando which is my 2nd home, but this year I was like...I want to see something new. 

I have been road tripping in Florida throughout the duration of the pandemic and before that also because there is so much to see in this state. But evermore, I am readying myself for my first international trip since 2019- whenever that may be!





Farmhouse 






                           



No comments:

Post a Comment