Tuesday, October 17, 2023

2023 Food Tour: YOUNG, HUNGRY, & CURIOUS: Psomi North Hyde park | Michelin Bib Gourmand Recipient 2023 | Pink Solange DressFor Breast Cancer Awareness Month





So, I have updated this with photos. It is amazing how the weather changed in just three weeks because that is when I took these photos and remember I said the heat was unbearable and I couldn't take any outfit photos. Well, today only three weeks later it is now like 76 degrees with a wind chill factor. I actually would be wearing a sweater today because I get cold easily given that I am anemic. 

So, on to the dress. This is the Solange dress. As far as I have seen only this style was made this year, I could be wrong. I fell in love with this dress immediately. Outfit details are below also. You have to really be on it when it comes to these dresses because they sell out almost instantly and they don't get restocked.


I have found that these dresses are very much true to size and they look good on petite women meaning if you are 5'3 or shorter like I am the hem will fall at a nice place as well as the the waistline. This month is breast cancer awareness month and I wanted to save this dress and post for October. 


















The Solange Dress - Pink Ditsy Cotton: Hillhouse

Necklace: C/O ettika

Earrings: Kendra Scott Elle in rose quartz

Jimmy Choo Maelie in white

Charm Necklace: Kendra Scott x Barbie

Bangle: Rocksbox SLATE Evan Hinge Cuff in Gold

Kelley Bangle Bracelet In Gold: Kendra Scott 

Zorte Bangle Bracelet In Gold: Kendra Scott 

                                           Anklets: C/O Ettika

Bracelet: Kendra Scott Abbie Statement in gold

Boone small cocktail ring in gold: Kendra Scott





So, this is my next stop on my 2023 food tour and I am trying to wrap this up because this food tour was supposed to only be from February to June, but I was so busy this year all these posts got spaced out. 


Psomi is a restaurant that I have been wanting to go to so badly over the years, however, I was scared to go there because of my issues with gluten because I have Celiac Disease I can not have wheat, wry, barley and other forms of gluten. I have been gluten free since 2012 when I found this out.

I definitely love Mediterranean food and I eat it all the time, but I noticed this restaurant has a bakery and a lot of baked items on the menu which gave me pause. One thing that I want to say right off the start, their bakery is located in an entirely different little casita on the property. You can see it because it is located adjacent to the patio dining and yes, the bread smells amazing. Normally I won't go around huffing bread given my situation, I just happened to be sitting near the casita and the door was opened.


So, a while back the menu wasn't really too gluten friendly in my opinion. I check it periodically and this year after they got the Micheline Bib Gourmand award I was like "okay, you have to just give this place a try and just pray you don't get glutened".

That is literally about how it goes 75% of the time when I eat out. I always order the most simple meals because of this because it is less likely to get contaminated or confused with something else. Since I am talking about the issues w gluten etc, at this point, this day that this is posted, I have now been to Psomi 3 times in one month. 2/3 I was able to eat without being glutened. Their fries are supposed to be gluten free, however, the 1st time I was there they said they fried other gluten containing items in the fryer so I could not have the fries. 

The next week I went there and they told me the fryer was 100% safe and gluten free (no items were fried in it that week containing gluten), it was most likely not100% free of gluten because I had an extreme gluten reaction. This one specifically happens when I eat potatoes that have been cross contaminated with gluten. It causes an intense itchy skin outbreak for me whether the potatoes are fried or boiled whatever, if there is gluten present that happens. 

So, I guess for me now having visited 3 times, I think the place is pretty safe, but I would avoid the fries. French fries in a frier can be tricky because even if the oil is changed out traces of gluten can still remain and it really depends on how sensitive you are to gluten. What I eat may not cause a reaction or the same reaction in other people. I have also read studies and also tested fries that were in a gluten free vrs non gluten free fryer and really the tests can vary because gluten will also fall to the bottom of the fryer and not even register on a test for 20 parts per million sometimes if the fryer is just being heated up for the day.

 I just wanted to be clear about that. So, knowing the week before the fryer did have gluten in it and I had a reaction to the fries I would personally just not order the fries, everything else all the times I visited was fine, they even checked the Bloody Mary for me.

So, we go in finally for brunch and man it is like 100 degrees outside this day! That is why I don't have an outfit photos for this post yet, because it was so hot I sat outside and by the end of brunch I was about to pass out from the heat!


So, I am no lover of the Bloody Mary right, but I stopped drinking Mimosas in April so, this is the option I go for. I have never been like a "fan" but I enjoy them minimally and some restaurants have them and they are not always gluten free. Psomi however makes their Bloody Mary from scratch and boy they are good. this was the first time I ever had a Bloody Mary and said "Wow, that is great".

 So, I get mine with bacon on the side. The bacon is smoked, it is thick cut, and it has a light maple glaze; It is good bacon.






So, on to the food...you can get a lot of items that would be normally wrapped in a pita just wrapped in lettuce so it is gluten free. The chicken souvlaki was really delicious, but the chicken had a bit too much char on it for me. Everything else was actually perfect. The lettuce wrap held up really well! I even re-heated it the next day and it was still good, the lettuce was soggy, but good.



chicken souvlaki 

organic breast, tzatziki, tomato, red onion, pita

*available as lettuce wrap for GF option




This salad has actually become my favorite now that I have been here multiple times and tried a lot of menu items. There is Greek potato salad at the bottom. Don't let the photo fool you, this salad is big enough for 4 people. I also had a side of eggs which they make really great farm fresh eggs that are scrambled, but you can get them any way you want as a side.



My husband really liked this dish, it just wasn't enough food (protein) for him.

Americano

house-cured thick cut bacon, scrambled CF egg, caramelized onion, american cheese










No comments:

Post a Comment