Sunday, January 21, 2024

Virgin Voyages La República Dominicana (Domincan Republic) Country #23 + Bimini Bahamas Vacation Recap & Camera Roll

                             

                           Thie is a recap of my Summer 23 vacation on Vurgin Voyages. This made cruise # 15 for hubby and I and country # 23 for us by my recollection. This was our Juneteenth holiday vacation and it was very spur of the moment. I basically started looking at the cruise and we booked it only a few days before it was due tonset sail. I was supposed to cruise on the Scarlet Lady on their inaugural cruise March 2020, but it was cancelled due to Covid. I was so happy to finally be able to experience this adults only almost all inclusive cruise finally. The good thing for us was that because our cruise was cancelled we had a credit on the account to use for a future sailing which basically went towards my drinks and other things we bought while on board. Customer service was actually really helpful when booking and i reccomend if you are going to book to call in because my rep got me an extra discount I didnt even know was available. 

                           So, our first day was a nightmare because we had to drive to Tampa to Miami. The drive doesnt bother me at all, its the downtown area and port that bothers me. Well, we left with plenty of time to get there and it just, the traffic basically from about Ruskin and on would just lock up. So, we were on edge because we left with hours to go and when the traffic seized up it basically estimated our arrival was 5pm. Now that was cutting it close, but little did I know aparently they want everyone on the ship no later than 4:30pm and this infor was never disclosed. So at the point that we are 30 minutes away from the port I get a text from the Captain and he is like are you and your husband still coming on the cruise? I was really freaking out then. I explained about the traffic and said we were actually really close so he says we will hold the ship until 445 or something like that. Yea, that was like 20 minutes earlier than my email so we were on edge.

 

                              Guys, the Captain held the ship until we got there. Held the ship! If that isn't some customer service I so not know what is! It was us and 4 other people who drove from Tampa and we all were stuck in that traffic. All of us were running looking crazed in the eyes praying the ship didnt leave. The great thing about Virgin Cruisline is that during the pa demic they finished their port. That is right, they have their own port and its beautiful.  Parking was quick. My husband parked the car and got back to me before I was even done checking us in. So, that was another thing I lo ed because in Miami a lot of the port is shared with other ships so you will be parking in a large parking garage and walking for 15 to 20 minutes with your stuff if you dont want to che k your bags first. Here, you dont need to do that. When us 6 got on the ship we left immediately,  it was about almost 6pm at that point so 30 minutes after when they were supposed to leave roughly.

                              

                              

                              

                             

                             

                             

                             

                             

                             

                             

                             







What I loved a lot was the room. The room is modern and colorful and fully electronic.  Your tablet controls the whole room from the curtains, the t.v. and the very very cool mood lighting. Everyday I was playing around with the mood lighting while lying in bed.

Things I liked:

*Our room attendant was so nice 

*They bring you ice and sparkling water to your room every night and everytime they clean the room, complimentary. 

*I loved the room design and size

*The shower had a rain showerhead!

* The shower and o really bathroom was small, but not as small as most ships in standard rooms have it.

*They give you a blanket for the bed and you don't have to ask for it.









The dining.

The dining is where this ship basically blows other cruielines out of the water. Now, I have cruised with about 6 or 7 different cruiselines. I have never done Oasis Class on Royal Carribean so I am not comparing this to that because I hear their dining is really great when you sail Oasis Class.

Anyhow, Virgin Voyages has about 5 restaurants on the ship operating at a Michelin level and they all serve different Cuisines.


They have the Wake which is a Steak and Seafood restaurant. 

Pink Agave which is Mexican

Gunbae whi h is Korean BBQ

The Test Kitchen which is exactly what the name implies, you are eating new creations by the Michelin Starred Chef and his students so it's all very hush hush and experimental.

Extra Virgin which is Italian

Razzle Dazzle is a little bit of everything, but it's mostly American food.

They also have at the aft of the ship a Mediterranean outdoors restaurant that a lot of people slept on until the last day of the cruise.







This is basically what saved me on the ship. They have these pre-made salads, they are good, but not great. They are gluten-free and they have some vegan and vegetarian ones as well as wraps and sandwiches that aren't gluten-free. 

 It's just a grab and go type situation and you can find them in 2 places on the ship. Now, there is a pizza place on this ship and it gets slammed especially rally at night. They do make gluten-free pizzas, but be warned they are all basically cross contaminated.  They are basically ally pumping out pizzas made to order back to back and throwing them in the oven. 

If your pizza doesn't get cross contaminated while being made via the shared space it will be when its placed in the oven. I was advised they could place it on the bottom row, but the manager told me it still isn't safe and just to not eat it. While I was in there at one of their busy times waiting on Ranch dressing for my salad the high amount of flour dust and smoke that was in there was insane, I had to just leave because I couldn't risk wheat flour getting into my eyes, nose, or throat while being in there.


They have a lido deck type of situation and you just place your order with a waiter and they bring it to your table. This place was also a nightmare for me. None of the people I talked to k ew what gluten was and as a result I was given not once, but twice Impossible burgers (bunless). Let me tell you, that Impossible patty was burnt and lifeless and they didn't even bother to melt the cheese. There is a photo on here somewhere of that. 

They absolutely were not helpful or adequate for me on that deck and as a result I ended up not getting lunch everyday and having to wait until 4pm to 5pm to get food at the Mediterranean place and Crudo at the steak house. I ended up LOOSING WEIGHT, which always happens.

Now, if you can eat whatever you want, oh that deck is a playground from pizza, to sushi, to Buffalo wings, to freaking Ramen noodles and any kind of desert or sandwich you want.


This was the Mediterranean spot that I told you everyone slept on. I freaking loved this place. The shrimp were so good here. 












This is that sad Impossible burger they served me. Whoo thus had me hot. Like why wouldn't they just give me a beef patty like I asked? It's because they kept thinking gluten-free meant VEGAN.










Me having late lunch at the Wake everyday. I would just go in there and order about 5 of these everyday and my husband would drink coffee and laugh at me. The waiters thought I was crazy, but I love crudo. I don't get tired of it and it's a great source of protien which I obviously needed.





Pink Agave.

So, this restaurant is like everyone's favorite, but I thought it was just ok. I liked the street corn and that was about the only thing that stood out in my dinner. I liked the Agua fresca more and you can add whatever liquor to it. So, you do need a reservation to eat at all of these restaurants. They allow you to make 1 reservation at each on your app and then if you want to repeat a restaurant you have to be a walk in. Pink Agave never has walk in seating because it is so popular so make a reservation asap or you won't get in there unless you go to the small bar in front.





Extra Virgin

For me, Extra Virgin just didn't do it for me. The charcuterie meat was great. The pasta they served me was terrible. It was absolutely terrible! It was like, it was so bad it made me mad and I lost my whole appetite,  but I still needes to eat dinner!

You know my husband always likes his food more or less so he didn't have any complaints. 

The staff was really helpful there though. The menu is small and they saw I was starving and hated that pasta so they gave me more charcuterie meat.






Scarlet Night











                                          La República Dominicana (Dominican Republic)

                                                                Country # 23, cruise # 15

                               














                             

                               

                              

                                      

                              


                      

                        


                      

Brunch at Razzle Dazzle


This also did not move me. I was given Impossible sausage AGAIN when I asked for real sausage patties. There were broken shells in my eggs. The bacon was covered in sugar. I left starved again. 


And to make this clear, all of these meals are included in the price of the cruise. I can have them remake this stuff, but who is to say it will be any better the 2nd time and we had to go on our Excursion before it started raining.

                       This is my favorite spot. I highly recommend this restaurant. 

                       

        



                                     

                      Back at Razzle Dazzle.


So, you are probably wondering why am I back here? It's because they have a secret menu that is o ky offered at night and everyone swears this Butter chicken is legit.


                    

2 story night club

This place is a LOT of fun! But you will see everyone take selfie here and it's looking all cute and empty. Nope, q million people walk through here doing the samething, you know trying to have tbeir moment. So, I just wanted to be real about that. There is no good time that I saw to come in there and get photos completely alone.

              Extra Virgin

                             

No comments:

Post a Comment