Monday, April 10, 2023

MARCH 2023 City Life VLOG | 9 Years in the City! | LOT'S of Events | Fitness Updates | Monthly Re-cap| Trader Joe's Finds | Collaborations, Hauls, Fitness, & Gluten Free Home Cooked Meals


I really still can't believe that it has been 9 years since we packed up our stuff and left our very first house to take a big chance on living in the city. So much has changed since we moved out here!!! And likewise, my husband and I have changed so much as well. What still remains is that we both always feel incredibly  blessed to have been able to take that chance, but even more, able to make this change permanent by becoming home owners in the place we love.



My mom is from the city (Tampa) and dad from the country (Mango, just outside of Tampa). I very much still feel like I get ridiculed  a lot from my family members for living in the city. I still even after all this time get back handed comments about where I chose to make my home. I do believe you should live where you love and for everyone that is going to be different. I lived in the country, I lived in the suburbs, and I moved to the city. 

It hits different for me being minutes away from restaurants, parks, hospitals, events, and people and I am very much a homebody and introverted, but I am also like 30% extroverted. Being within a close proximity of things going on means a lot to me. Where I lived before the only thing to do was sit on the back lanai and watch the grass, go to Brandon Mall or to a park and chain restaurants. I grew up there, lived there, and needed a lot more stimulation and freedom.

I have fully accepted that some people will actually never accept where I have chosen to live, but it may not 100% be for the reasons they claim.



After working so hard to get here my husband I want to enjoy the ride and the ride being the fruits of our labor. After the last three years we all should be very much focused on fun and the betterment of our time here in my opinion. So, let's have fun!

This month was so busy. Below you will find never before posted photos, information, and events. I also have some recipes and I am going to do a fitness update. I had a lot of brand collaborations this month so I have a lot of photos that never made it on the original posts.



FITNESS:

I am going to post some photos in a minute here.

Did you all know it has been 1 year since I officially lost the weight that I had put in during the years before and first few months of the pandemic? It took me 15 months to loose 25 pounds which is a natural and normal way to loose weight. That is roughly 5 to 6 pounds a week with diet and exercise  and as you get smaller that weight at the end gets harder to loose.

I have actually been working at rebuilding a lot of muscle tone that I lost with in the last 6 months as I have gotten stronger. I was really proud of my yoga body even when I was 140 lbs. I am only 5'3 so 140 lbs is just still too much weight for me and I usually am 119 to 125. So, now I have had a year to build muscle up without the extra body fat and I can see a lot of difference from this year to last year and years before. 

Size wise, I am still the same. I still have the same healthy eating habits and I still work out one time a week. In January, I got severely glutened and I was sick from January to February. I felt like I was getting better, but even in March I was still having a lot of issues with digestion, joint pain and swelling in my body due to the autoimmune reaction.

Mentally, when I get glutened it is hard because I am trying to be strong for myself and mentally prepare myself for what is about to happen. Depending on what I ate and how much gluten was in it is basically what decides the amount of reaction my body is going to have. This can be combated by not eating spicy foods, eating bland foods, vegetables, fruits, broths, soups, and bone broths. Which I did, but after I went on my month long vacation the inflammation in my gut hit me. So now, I am really swollen and unmotivated to work out at all.

I have been working out and eating everything I should be eating, but when it comes to an autoimmune reaction I am on it's schedule. Some days I wake up and my toes feel broken arthritis in my feet), sometimes my ankle, sometimes my skin is inflamed. I did everything that I could do to not have gluten served to me on this day in January by the way, but ultimately, I was, and I am still paying for that and it is actually April as I write this.

Yoga helps, but cardio is better and I have to step up to the plate and finally use this treadmill my husband bought me. Physically, I feel much much stronger than last year and more able as I am not having any issues other than having been glutened in January. So, I am gonna get on this treadmill which is a huge deal for me because I really want to only do yoga and pilates, but I am seeing the autoimmune disease supersedes what I want and what I expect. On an average day I am not getting enough cardio to combat how I feel. 

I can't say I have gained weight as my last weigh in was the same it was last year 3 weeks ago and right now I am super bloated while feeling like I shouldn't be. That is crazy right, but I know you guys get that.

 So, I will share some photos soon on my treadmill.  


TRADER JOE'S FINDS:


Now that I have normalized (for me) going back to the grocery store after three years of almost never going into a grocery store I am happy that I have resumed my TJ's finds this year.

I really like to share the interesting items that I find as well as gluten free items. If you read last month's city life post wood reed flowers is making a huge splash.



If you like the taco sauce at Taco Bell, yes, I said Taco Bell you will love this. I made American tacos this month and used this sauce and my husband an I loved it. I haven't had anything from Taco Bell in over a decade except the tortillas that you can buy in the grocery store, but I always crave American tacos. 

You can think of this as a healthier version of the sauce. This sauce was not spicy and the caveat is the Sriracha seasoning that I found which adds a kick.




DEM BABIES:




ST. PETE PEIR MARKET



This is a straw hat for my cat Yue, which was 14$ and  I bought 2 for myself; They are pretty well made. These hats are handmade and if you are into wearing straw or paper hats like me then you know that these usually retail 125-165$ The woman only wanted 45$ so I bought two.





Discount code for 20% off: AIRIE




Discount code for 15% off: AIRIE15


































HAULS/COLLABORATIONS




I am not going to lie, I first encountered these amazing tea glasses while eating brunch. I am a collector of items like this so I knew how to find it online, which I did within minutes and I bought a set. Aren't these just amazing!!!



Empties from MAC
Recycle & Exchange

Did any of you know that MAC was ending their empties recycle and exchange program? The last day to turn in empties was March 31st. I waited until the last minute, but I had 18 emptpties too exchange and I re-upped on new lipsticks for free. I got a lot of newer shades because a few were discontinued, but the matches were close enough.



So, these were the lipsticks I picked up.

Plum Dandy
Creme de Nude
Do not disturb
Velvet Teddy
Bombshell




Collaborations




DISCOUNT CODE: FASHIONTOLIVE





EVENTS:


The brand new Publix in Gandy Commons finally had their grand opening. It was a pretty big deal. The original Publix was built in the 80's and they did a complete tear down of the existing building and re-built it from the ground up. To me (I shop here all the time prior to the new Publix in the Westshore Business District opening a few years ago) the building actually has the same layout, the outside is what looks different. There are obvious changes though, for instance this location has a Pours Cafe with indoor dining on the first floor and mezzanine. 


This is supposed to be the only Pours Cafe in the state that is located in a Publix, however I did see one at the new Water Street Greenwise Publix, but it may not be an "official" Pours location.  Anyhow, they serve beer, wine, Kahwah Coffee and have light bites. The cool thing is that the shopping carts are outfitted with cup holders so you can take your drink with you while you shop.


So, a change that I like in particular is that this Publix has all these different stations set up. The above is the regular hot bar. You will see in the photos below they have:
A ramen and sushi station
A pasta and pizza station
A taco, nacho and pizza station
A Gormet popcorn station

Also,
expanded cheese collection, bakery, and deli.










INFLUENCER DAY
TROPHY FISH
SEMINOLE HEIGHTS








WINE ON WATER
WATER STREET DISCTRICT
WINE TASTING EVENT






COUNTER CULTURE BRUNCH LUNCH INFLUENCER EVENT



ROLLIN OATS MARKET AND CAFE
BOUJEE SMOOTHIES COLLABORATION









PROCURE
GRAND OPENING
HYDE PARK VILLAGE







EVENT
CAROL MORSANI HALL
STRAZ CENTER
VIENNA LIGHT ORCHESTRA



This is actually the only event that doesn't have an independent blog post because cameras were not allowed and all I could use was my Samsung cell phone. The photos are not that great which is not surprising to me, but I actually was in the 5th or 6th row.



I don't recall ever going to an orchestra type show ever in life so this was a new experience. This was the one night the Vienna Light Orchestra was in Tampa.


I really choose carefully what events to promote on my blog and social media meaning I do not except every offer. A big draw for me is doing and trying new things. I always like to go over the events in my head with my husband and name the ones that were the most fun and to date the most unexpected event I went to was for a property builder and we ended up taking helicopter rides over South Tampa. So anyway, I was here to see a show.



The whole show was great and they performed over 2 hours. It started out with a small ensemble of people and three singers and the second half was a full orchestra and band.






DATE NIGHTS:


Hubby's birthday dinner #1


Brunch (I haven't posted this yet though)


Haven Tampa
Soho






Counter Culture
Palma Ceia



Zukku-San Sushi Bar & Grill
Wesley Chapel







The Pearl
Water Street District
Downtown Tampa


Hyde Park Village
Grand Opening






Un-mixed
Add on: egg, cabbage, and carrots.
Gluten Free




Pre-mixed
Not gluten free





GLUTEN FREE HOME COOKED MEALS:











 



Jamaican Shrimp Curry with Rice and Gungo Peas





Gungo peas, also known as gunga peas or pigeon peas are legumes. You will most likely find them in the Caribbean or Latin section of your local grocery store or on an online store either dried or canned.


  • 3 c white rice, I believe I used Basmati rice from Trader Joe's
  • 1  (15 oz.) can dried pigeon/gungo peas. I used Goya Brand and I did drain them
  • 1  (13-15 oz.) can coconut milk
  • salt to taste
  • 3 1/2 c water
  • 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
  • 1 scallion stalk, bruised
  • 1 bunch of dried thyme (about 6 sprigs) or 2 bunches of fresh thyme (about 12 sprigs)
  • 1 whole Scotch bonnet pepper 

Instructions

  1. Season the rice and peas. In a large pot, add the rice, peas, milk, salt,  and water. Stir well to combine.
  2. Add the aromatics. Place the onion, scallion, thyme, and scotch bonnet pepper on top of the rice mixture (to be easily removed after cooking).
  3. Cook it. Cover the pot with a lid and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Next, reduce the heat to a slow boil and cook for 8 minutes. Lastly, reduce the heat to low, allowing the rice to steam for an additional 12 minutes, until tender. Turn off the heat and leave the rice on the stove, covered, to continue steaming for about 10 minutes. (If the rice is not yet tender, add a little more water and continue steaming until the desired texture is achieved).
  4. Fluff it. Remove the onions, thyme, and pepper (if desired). Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.






Pub Subs
home made













No comments:

Post a Comment