Thursday, June 24, 2021

Sexified Black Stripe Dress+ Jimmy Choo Sandals & Dinner At Meat Market Tampa & Why This Place Should be Avoided

 



So, there is something quite interesting going on at the Meat Market Tampa and I am going to talk to you about it today. What was supposed to be an easy breezy seafood brunch or late lunch/early dinner turned into a nightmare. I have not been back to this restaurant since their opening week a few years ago; I didn't care much for it then per their seasoning choices and overall menu options. I woke up on this day craving oysters and King crab (this is a usual occurrence for me). There are a lot of places where I can get this in South Tampa and St. Pete with little to no drive. I knew Meat Market had oysters so I threw that out as a suggestion since it was the closest option. To my surprise, Meat Market Tampa has actually put a lot of focus on their seafood selection in a way which makes me think they are trying to compete with our long time favorite Ocean Prime. So the nightmare ensues.


Now, I chose this dress because I was expecting to sit outside as we have been doing since we got vaccinated in April. This dress to me is relaxed, but sexy. Unbeknownst to me, Meat Market Tampa has been operating under a very "Miami-esque" wardrobe policy. I kind of roll my eyes at a wardrobe policy especially in Tampa, Fl because its hot as hell and its humid as hell. But I understand why some places have them. For me, its no problem because I am always wearing a dress and heels anytime we go out. 

So, you know we are walking up to check in and these two blonde women ask if we had a reservation (yes) so they proceed to look me up and down in the most obvious condescending and pretentious way. Now, like I said, I haven't been here in about 3 years so I was like what is their problem, but did not think much at the time... Anyhow, they never once looked at what my husband had on- only me, you know the black girl. The reason I bring this up is because after this nightmare of a dinner I was pissed, like super pissed at the way we were treated and I felt like this was more of a racist event that occurred.

I turned to Yelp after Googling "Meat Market Tampa- Racist" and tha'ts when I saw all these Yelp reviews, then the Trip Advisor reviews and the list goes on. Lord, I wish I had read this before I went there. There are tons and tons of reviews claiming Meat Market Tampa is using this "wardrobe policy" to turn black and brown patrons- would be customers away. We all know that my husband is white and I will say this, they looked me up and down and even turned their noses down at me laughing like my outfit barely made the cut, but my white husband was wearing a t-shirt with a cartoon logo on it which they never even looked at. My husband and I had to check in a 2nd time at a 2nd hostess area inside and yet and still no one ever looked at him and told him his t-shirt was not acceptable. Yet, there are tons of reviews from people saying they couldn't even get in the outdoor seating on the hottest day wearing aa t-shirt and or shorts.
It looks like a duck, it quacks like a duck.












Black Stripe Dress: Red Dress Boutique

Bag: Louis Vuitton Alma PM

Sandals: Jimmy Choo Maelie, in black

Earrings: C/O Ettika

Necklace: C/O Ettika

Crystal Ball Anklet: C/O Ettika

Anklet: C/O Ettika

Hair clips: C/O Ettika

Lipstick: Fenty Beauty


Issues while inside: I am very pro tipping culture, but honestly, this meal cost us about three hundred dollars and they did not deserve a tip (they got one though). There is an overall, pretentious attitude from staff like you, the customer, should be grateful that they will even serve you or that you even got through the door. Once seated inside we were met with not one, but two waitresses who would be helping us. They immediately came up to me and said "You're gluten free? ok, we will take good care of you tonight".

That was one of many many lies they, and the Chef and manager would tell me. They messed up every single thing I ordered except the cocktails. 



They remade this crudo two times after I explicitly said no chips, no sauce, just oil and salt is fine. Both times it was sent out with exactly what I asked them no to do.

Going off: A manager or man in a suit came out to argue with me on behalf of the Chef who was annoyed that I wanted my food "gluten free". He defended his Chef, but at the end of the day regardless of my needing the food to be made gluten free, I asked for everything we ordered to come out with "no sauces and no crackers or chips" and they literally were trying to force me to eat the food the way the Chef felt it should be served maybe he also felt I wasn't truly gluten free also. 

There was a complete disregard for me, the customer, for service, for my order and my food allergens which is alarming. We had 2 waitresses as this couldn't have been made right between all that. Neither one knew what the other was doing, one would take my drink order and then the other would come by asking if I wanted a drink. Now, I have been a Celiac for almost ten years now meaning I am gluten free almost 100% of time by eating whole foods that have little processing and buying most foods that are certified gluten free. I also, as many of you know used a portable gluten tester for years to help eliminate instances of gluten cross contamination while dining out or eating at family dinners.

 For the most part, I know what I can and can't have and I look menu's and reviews up before I show up anywhere. To have three people argue with me and tell me to eat something that could potentially have me sick for over a month or end up in the hospital is infuriating. I have experienced this judgmental attitude quite a few times while dining out because people thing "oh, you are only gluten free to loose weight" I have had people try to force things on me saying it only has a little bit of gluten in it so you can still eat it" Like, what is that? Do they tell people with nut allergies it only has a little bit of nuts in it so your good? Are we really out here doing that now?




Where they failed: What was the most disturbing of it all that happened was that I literally was ordering my food without any side sauces or crackers and they were bringing my food out with sauces and crushed up chips or crackers. The Chef, the waitresses, and manager were trying to argue me down about it being gluten free which it was, until they fried it. The staff here needs (on a whole) to have training on Celiacs disease (not "gluten allergy" because there is a difference.) 

There was a clear understanding made to me that they have a fryer that everything is fried in which the waitress told us. If you take a gluten free item like a potato and fry it in the same oil that you fried something containing wheat, rye, or barley it is no longer gluten free and if someone is telling you "I have Celiac disease please omit any sauces and crackers" just give me what I ordered. It takes no effort to not expedite someones food with no sauces or added crackers.


Our waitress said she prefers Meat Market Tampa over Ocean Prime, but I've never had a bad experience at Ocean Prime and I have been there over ten times. Any dietary requests are always taken seriously and when they make a mistake people don't come out trying to argue with me about why they were right-- they just fix it. This was an awful dinner experience and there was not one apology from the 2 waitresses that were on our table. They acted like they were completely oblivious to the poor service they provided and essentially reduced me to being labeled a "difficult customer" because I asked for my food with no sauce and chips. I will tell you this, they had all the smoke for me, but got everything my husband wanted right and were friendly to him which only highlights the clear prejudice they show towards guests.



The ceviche shown has chips in it that were fried in oil that other items containing gluten were fried in.


You see all those sauces? At least 2 of them contain gluten and we asked for them to be left off completely, but here they are, right next to the food I am supposed to eat.



The pretentiousness: So, this is really where we are at...we have a Miami (South Beach) restaurant located in a very expensive area of Tampa (Hyde Park Village). They need to get over themselves, we aren't in Miami, or South Beach, its Tampa. Nothing could warrant mistreating guests, turning them away at the door because of their clothes, lying and telling them you aren't taking reservations anymore or the rest of it. More people need to know how this restaurant is operating; I spent almost three hundred dollars on a dinner which in all honesty was good, but everything else was terrible.  There are tons of large men standing around watching everyone like they are security or bouncers in a night club- do we need all that at 5pm?

This restaurant is considered to be upscale, but to me this is not because bad service ruins otherwise good food. I have dined at some very nice upscale restaurants and recieved the best service.  Meat Market Tampa needs to check your own self righteousness at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment