Thursday, March 26, 2020

March City Life 2020: Stay At Home - March, The Longest Month Ever... Candle Review + Gluten Free Home Cooked Meals + Hauls & Fitness




During this really hard and devastating  time I found myself in such a precarious position. As I watched and waited on news of the spread of the virus I have seen so much selfishness and hate and lack of humanity. I am so disappointed and feel broken. My husband and I know I am the one with autoimmune diseases so I have to stay calm and I have to stay inside. Although my blog is posted on a schedule which I create, I decided to postpone and move a lot of my posts back because who wants to see you out and about when we are all under quarantine .

My birthday trip was cancelled and it was already paid for, my dad got sick and the VA did not test him, but sent him home saying he had the flu. I am sitting here self quarantined  with my husband (we are not sick, other than me getting over Bronchitis & Laryngitis) and I am thinking how can I share any posts or  news when we potentially may be entering the second recession of our millenial lives....and not only that, everyone is affected, but some only feel like what they are going through matters. I am looking at women who are due to deliver there in a very different position now than before; people who have lost work in tremendous amounts as last weeks unemployment filings were 3.3 million. Parents are elderly, we cant find toilet paper...this all affects all of us not just the elderly or 65 or older, its all of us.

I have changed my blog schedule and the posts that were already scheduled and they will be posted later in the year. Right now, I am aiming for a Thursday and Sunday post and if I have a YouTube video or anything extra I will post off schedule as usually.

I hope you all are kind to one another and stay safe.
XOXO





FITNESS:


Well, after 6 weeks of having Bronchitis and Laryngitis I have done very very minimal exercise  since I had an Asthma attack in February. I would love to say I am so motivated right now, but I am not. I am doing the bare minimum and still managing to eat all this freaking cheese (I usually don't eat a lot of dairy) because I am stressed tfo.  I have been "self quarantined" for over two weeks because I am the one with the most underlying issues. I am in this small condo which I used to be calling my "cute tiny home", but we out grew it years ago and there is stuff everywhere. 

This day just a small amount of sunshine and yoga with out my jerk neighbor chain smoking cigarettes was such a great relief because we all need fresh air and the sun. I am so annoyed and stressed out and its not just because of quarantine.






AMBASSADOR/HAULS

Items C/O Ettika

C/O Ettika

C/O Ettika




OUT IN THE CITY:





Hosted event at Iberian Rooster



The C House




GLUTEN FREE MEALS COOKED BY MYSELF- RECIPES AVAILABLE BY REQUEST IF NOT POSTED.



So, I never shied away from my love of cooking and I am SELF TAUGHT. A lot of people are losing their minds having to come up with some meals. Once upon a time, I had just started taking interest in cooking and both my husband and I were in college and broke and I was unemployed. 

I grew up eating some pretty humble meals that are easy to make and not expensive for a family of four. I know it seems like I eat out incessantly, but I don't which is why I love the "City Life" posts to show my love of cooking. I hate cooking on the weekends, but its because I cook 2 to 3 times a day during the week everyday. I also have this small a** dishwasher and sink so I have to do dishes twice a day and it doesn't get anything clean so I have to wash a third time by hand sometimes. 

Anyway, my energy level has NOT returned since I had that Asthma attack and got sick, but I hit the ground running and started cooking everyday (even on the weekends) and I film it and its on Instagram and Snapchat. On any given day, you can see me cooking these meals (its always been that way tbh). 

I am not going to lie, some days I am exhausted and I cook for 3 or 4 hours not including the dishes stuff. My husband is my sous chef. He preps all my stuff if he is here, he is so much better at cutting and dealing with raw meat than me and I wouldn't be as great as cooking if it were not for him. He actually used to be meat butcher at more than one grocery store. So, when he helps me it takes so much less time.



Roasted chicken leg quarters with Ford hook peas, cabbage, rice 






Fried eggs, jalepeno cheddar grits, fried ham
Step by step











Brined chicken wings



Lemon pepper wings





Lemon pepper wings, kale, turmeric seasoned rice


For this seasoned yellow rice I used the following

1 tbsp Tumeric

salt

pepper

1 cup chicken broth

1 cup water

1 cup white rice



Baked salmon and stovetop Mac and cheese with pan seared broccoli

So, this was my first attempt at replicating the spicy broccoli I had at Capa on my birthday. I don't have a recipe, I tried to do it by taste.

White wine (cooking wine)
 chilli flakes
salt
pepper
garlic

The key is not over cooking the broccoli. I will keep working on it until I get it right.

Stove top Mac and Cheese
(I prefer baked mac and cheese)
This is a really quick and better option if you just want 1 or 2 servings of Mac and Cheese. I have made it two different ways and both are about the same flavor wise. If you make a Béchamel it does come out creamier.

1 cup macaroni elbows (boil as to what the box says)

1 cup cheddar (always try to use a block of cheddar and shred yourself)

1 tblespn mustard powder (optional)

Salt

Pepper

butter 1 tbsp

1 cup Whole milk or heavy cream 

Combine and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment