Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Sunda New Asian - Midtown Grand Opening | "Airie in The City": Monet Linen Blazer + Ponte Di Rosa Dress + Jimmy Choo




















Monet Linen Blazer: Gingham and Heels

Ponte Di Rosa Dress:  Zara

Bag:  Louis Vuitton, Over the Moon

Pumps: Jimmy Choo, Abel, not recent.

Coin Earrings: C/O Ettika

Anklets: 3 different ones, C/O Ettika

Lipstick: MAC Brave Red




Sunda New Asian
 Midtown


Sunda New Asian is a Chicago-based restaurant that also has a sister restaurant in Nashville and now it's third location in Tampa's Midtown has opened Monday (June 26th) at 3648 Midtown Drive. This location and the last new restaurant to join Midtown is taking over a 6,000-square-foot space near the entrance to the Aloft and Element hotels across from True Food Kitchen. 

Sunda New Asian was developed by Billy Dec, a Chicago restaurateur known for appearances on the Today show and acting roles in EmpireCriminal Minds

Sunda’s offerings blends an assortment of styles from Southeast Asia, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam,  China and Japan; Offering Dim sum, sushi, noodle and rice dishes and etc. They also serves craft cocktails at Sunda such as: sake, Japanese whiskies and spirits. 



Sunda New Asian takes culturally-important food and drink from Southeast Asian countries and not only elevates them, but modernizes them with upgraded ingredients, cooking techniques and plating. As a result, this creates a new and invigorating "date night or girls night" experience that retains the the importance  and fortitude of the original recipes and origins of them.


MISO SOUP 
GLUTEN FREE


"There are Sunda New Asian locations in Chicago and Nashville, where Dec also lives. To give the Tampa location its own identity, the decor’s vibe is “vintage Polynesian,” with light warm woods and rattan furniture. Sampaguita — the national flower of the Philippines — made of resin hangs above the bar that greets guests as they walk in". Tampa Bay Times




PEAR SAKE
Grey Goose la poire vodka, ginger, pineapple, sparkling sake, cinnamon rim.


We dined in at Sunda New Asian and I was totally feeling vibes and atmosphere. Tye staff was friendly and we were seated promptly. We in fact had a great time even though there were a few opening night hiccups. I overall was very impressed with the quality of the food. It's pretty well known that my husband and I drive all rhe way to Disney Springs just so I can eat at Morimoto Asia. Up until now, that was the only place that serves gluten-free miso soup. I also in general love their wok fried veggies. Well, I loved the miso soup at Sunda and yes, it is gluten-free. I added mushrooms to it also for a 1$ up-charge . Next, the grilled veggies without the curry sauce were great. I am a veggie lover and even though they weren't wok fried, I still loved them. 

So, this pear sake cocktail was pretty fire. It is rare that I enjoy a  cocktail as much at an Asian restaurant because usually there are things in them that are just too involved for me being that I have to Google every ingredient to ensure it is gluten-free. There was another drink I really wanted to try on the menu, but they didn't have the ingredients or the ice machine yet.




SEAWEED SALAD
NOT GLUTEN FREE


As usual we ate way more than expected and more that is shown. I can't wait to return. I have been waiting for this very restaurant to open for a while now. So, one thing I do want to mention is that I chatted with the GM for a while and he was very explicit that they train the staff very well on food allergens, but in particular Celiacs Disease (autoimmune disease) and cross contamination. 

I was really impressed with what I saw and he even said some menu items can actually be adjusted outside of what is denoted GF. I always love when a restaurant has well trained staff and understanding if what it is like to have Celiacs and what cross contamination means. 



SALMON CRUDO
GLUTEN FREE


I didn't show any sushi or nigiri in this post (only crudo), but it was good. It wasn't the plain run of the mill kind you get standard, but you know, I guess I would say leveled up. 




NON GLUTEN FREE ITEMS


SZECHUAN CHICKEN

NOT GLUTEN FREE






SUPER FUN DESSERT:
SUNDA SUNDAE
shaved ice, ube ice cream, pandan coconut gel, red mung bean, lychee fruit, flan

IT IS GLUTEN FREE!





We love that.
XOXO








No comments:

Post a Comment