Thursday, September 12, 2019

Palm Cost Vacation Hotel Review Hammock Beach Lodge A Salamander Hotel




This is a beautiful resort with direct beach access from their beach suites on the shore, but they are not operating on the level of which a high end resort would. I was really skeptical about why it was so inexpensive to stay literally steps away from the beach and it is in fact, because they are lacking in so many areas of service that a higher end resort would know to not detract from.







- When we arrived we came to the building where we would be staying which is Hammock Beach Resort Lodge (which is not the main hotel) only to be told the concierge left for the day so we needed to go to the main building and check in taking all our bags in tow.

-They gave us no options on where to leave our luggage at the lodge safely. The bell hop guy was trying to help, but he basically said "well you can leave your stuff in the lobby unattended at least there is a camera if someone steals it". I was looking like why would I EVEN entertain that idea.


-The Atlantic Grille restaurant we were booked at at that time was right there so I walked over to the front desk and explained we would be about 15 to 20 minutes late for our reservation because the concierge had left for the day and we had to go all the way to the main hotel to check in. She seriously said to me "OK, well if you are not back in 15 minutes I am marking you as a no show". I was like dude, I am right here right now telling you what the issue is- its not a no show and its not my fault.

-Restaurants- the restaurant that is open to the public Atlantic Grille is so beyond sub par. Both of our waiters both nights were great and nothing that happened was their fault. Let me start by saying, why thee hell are they accepting reservations half an hour to close, but then getting an attitude when it takes the customer longer than 30 minutes to eat... The first night the bartender legit left when I was still eating and wanted to order a drink and our waiter had to make it. I SAW the manager standing out in the corner watching us eat with his hands on his hips looking mad. We were told the restaurant closed at 11pm but apparently its 10pm. They all (staff) say once you come in and are seated they cant tell you to leave. They don't- they just clock out and leave!

The second night the food that was prepared for me tested positive for up to 20 parts per million of gluten- after I had already discussed the whole menu with them and went through what was gluten free they still served me fish that contained gluten. When I asked to send it back and have it remade they told me "oh, the chef and staff left for the night". So, whoever re-cooked the fish also came out with this bald face lie saying they ran out of rice and veggies because it was the end of the night. They served me bare fish with NO SIDES and still charged me the FULL PRICE OF 35.00 for it and acted like they were doing me a favor! They can not- I repeat can NOT accommodate food allergies. This place is not gluten friendly and its over priced.






 2 salads, 2 drinks, and two fish dishes came to 130.00. They night before we had the "prime steak" and seafood platter and they cheated us out of half the crab legs AND oysters that we were told came on the platter. When we asked about it they tried to act shocked like they didn't know what we were saying. This is the kicker- this is the only restaurant in this area of their "city" that serves food to the public that is considered fine dining. It is far from fine dining. The steak and seafood were below prime at best. The mushroom risotto was dry and had 0 flavor as well as the broccolini.

They have no room service. The only way you get breakfast is if you come downstairs at the lodge (I am not sure how it works in the main hotel, but they don't have a restaurant there that even serves breakfast) and place an order or dine in. We tried to place a pick up order over the phone in the room which coincidentally had a room service button and were hung up on. They just don't care here. They act like they are too good to serve anyone to be honest, and they know they can continue to make money because they have the only "luxury" restaurant and hotel with golf course in this area. Save yourself the trouble and drive 1 mile over that bridge and get breakfast from Metro Diner or IHop and you will at least still have your dignity and for less money, even with the 2.00$ toll.

This hotel is very secluded and if you stay here it is like you get roped into eating at their restaurants that are sub par at best. We also tried the sushi restaurant on the property and they basically told me they could accommodate gluten allergies and when I asked if they had gluten free soy sauce I was told NO. SO, I guess they thought they would tell me that after we ordered a bunch of sashimi and then still demand we pay for it...I just told the server there was no need to bring out any drinks etc., because it was obvious they could not accommodate anyone with food allergies. He basically looked at me like whatever and walked away.

So, I went a full day with barely a whole meal because they really can not accommodate food allergies at almost all of their restaurants and their third restaurant Delfinos has such terrible reviews I wasn't even going to go in there. I went three days with barely a full meal because as I said, there are few restaurants in Palm Coast that you can get good gluten free info on online. Your choices literally are driving 36 miles to St. Augustine at the closest or eating at the few (very few chain restaurants here).

You can access this beautiful beach with out staying at this "want to be" luxury hotel. I was skeptical about the low price when I booked our room and there you have your answer, you are paying for mediocre service with beach access. And the rooms are nice, but loud and our t.v. had no sound control at all which woke me up everyday at 6am. Save your money because if you stay here you will be left with no choice but to drive to St. Augustine, Daytona Beach, or Jacksonville if you want a real meal with a memorable dining service and food allergy options.

 No luxury hotel should ever EVER not have room service and let me add... they have 10 pools, but no real restaurants operating at a three star level. Let that sink in.









No comments:

Post a Comment