Wednesday, March 27, 2019

A Night at M.Bird (Opening Night) - Armature Works Tampa + Cute OOTD



Tonight we went out to experience M.Bird at the Tampa Armature Works. I have been aware for months that they were going to open a rooftop bar, I just wasn't sure when. Tonight was the opening and I must say I was underwhelmed. I always always like to write positive and honest reviews and I just did not like this place and here is the reason why.









Outfit details: Everything is not recent! I did a great job styling directly from my closet tonight.


The atmosphere and vibe are great. It reminded me very much of my time in Soho Manhattan. Tonight it was cold- I am guessing for a Floridian this would be freezing - or at least I was. They ran out of propane for the heaters. 

The drinks were on point, service was a little slow, but I liked the drinks that I had. The issue I had was (to no shock) their menu is hostile AF to anyone with Celiacs or a gluten allergy. I don't order any drink without just asking for Tito's Vodka because I know that's certified gluten free. Most places in Tampa are very into Rum (not a shock), Mezcal, Whiskey, Gin. All a bunch of stuff I won't touch. I ordered what was seemingly a simple drink and it was given to me with a wafer in it. For anyone who doesn't know how Celiacs work- that will make you sick if you have Celiac Disease.



A lot of the menu just isn't gluten friendly and the waitress said we can work with you in stuff, but everything I asked for was a hard NO. She seemed overwhelmed and I felt like I was being perceived as bing "difficult" because I did not want gluten. Point blank: I don't think that my Celiacs was taken seriously at all and it's disappointing because so many people have Celiac disease. I did everything right and at the end of the day the only thing the chef was willing to make for me was marinated olives, a side salad and serval items that I don't eat. 


There are some gluten free options all though limited. 
Pork burger (no bun)
Flank steak
Steak Tartar (no bread and fried onions)
-And a lot of their menu is fried in a community fryer one example being the falafels.

All items I don't eat and I am guessing a lot of people probably don't eat if you are not big on eating meat like I am. I basically had olives when I was there and had a Mai  Thai that went straight to my head because I was starving. I go to these places to find out where we Celiacs can eat and drink and this just did not do it for me. I do a fair amount of research on drinks and what I can eat before I go anywhere. I have very little expectations a lot of times because to be honest accommodating people with a gluten allergy can cost money and be timely. However, its 2019 and so many people can not have wheat, rye, and barley. Im not an outlier or a unicorn or a person that just thinks if I avoid gluten I will lose weight.

Gluten free marinated olives and cheese

Mai Thai

Gluten free steak tartar

I asked for potatas bravas and of course its fried and has bread crumbs and I asked since they said we can work with you- can it be cooked in a pan without bread crumbs and I got a NO. Although, this place was beautiful, the vibe was great, and prices were fair, as a Celiac I could only come here for a drink and thats it. I was pretty disappointed given last month at Oak and Ola I had an amazing gluten free experience and tonight I just felt like I was being regarded as an annoyance. And lastly, the La Segunda drink is not one I would recommend if you are a Celiac. Although it is not listed on their menu, it is served with a wafer as garnish, furthermore one of the main ingredients used to make the drink could either be made from barley or almonds. I wouldn't risk it. My gluten tester doesn't test alcoholic beverages so the drink had to be sent back.




So, to wrap all this up, its a great rooftop bar with great drinks and a stellar view of Tampa's Downtown. But if you have a gluten allergy or Celiacs you will have to find somewhere else to eat before you head out, otherwise you will be watching everyone else chow down on jerk chicken egg rolls while you pick at olives...






No comments:

Post a Comment