Wednesday, May 24, 2023

"Airie in the City" EBBE Opening Night | Set Alexander Wang | Jimmy Choo



Tonight we dined at Ebbe, Tampa's newest restaurant located in downtown Tampa and there is a lot of complexity in these dishes.

Ebbie, simply named after Swedish born Micheline starred Chef Ebbe Vollmer, is a new restaurant concept which offers fine dining in a multi-course prix-fixe tasting experience.

In a well coursed-out dinner that took a little under three hours, my husband and I were greeted by Chef Ebbe as he presented each course to 10-15 diners in an intimate space which once housed Mole Y Abuela. Now, this space is steeped in minimalistic chic style with a large communal granite table that is open at the center, floor to ceiling sheer curtains and the ever so small window which offers a view into the kitchen and his team. Everything is so calm & relaxing.

Serving wine, beer, and espresso, the menu (as shown below) is sourced with a lot of detail and heart by Chef Ebbe. The menu, which is several options and you can have five/six courses. It is designed for you to pick and choose what you would like however, you can also choose the Chef's recommendations which for the most part is what we did tonight.

Unlike many restaurants I have visited, the Chef presented the dishes to us, explained what was in the dish, but he stuck around to talk to us which was not only pleasant, but refreshing. I do not know if this is how every night will be, but it was great hearing his ideas and thoughts on the dishes he creates and how he sourced the items the formed the dishes he made. 

As true foodies, my husband and I were very interested in the process in which some of the dishes were made. Gluten-free accommodations were made for me, but it did seem like a lot of the menu was gluten-free with there being only two items that contained bread (the bread course & the Eclair & Morells). 





Tonight, I am wearing a look that I am quite fond of. It was raining profusely and even though it is Florida, when it rains the temperature drops to about 70 or lower most times if it is not humid. For me, as a native Floridian that usually means I am cold so you will often find me wearing sweaters during all times of the year despite the fact that it may be Summer or Spring or just below 70 degrees which for many, it isn't cold at all. I am also anemic so you know there is that and I usually am cold when others are not. Anyhow, I was going to wear a different look from my closet that did not get much wear, but tonight I wore this Alexander Wang set.

















Set: Alexander Wang New York, Not recent 

Sandals:  Jimmy Choo Maelie in black

Iced out Initial Necklace:C/O CAPSUL Jewelry

Boone small cocktail ring in gold: Kendra Scott

Cuff: Kendra Scott Candace in gold

Abbie bangle: Kendra Scott in gold

Earrings: Rocksbox

Lipstick: MAC Brave Red


Chef's Counter
Downtown Tampa




Shown below are the courses we had, there are some extras because of the substitutions that were made for my being gluten free. The bread and butter course was subbed for me and there is an extra dessert shown below.


Beef & caviar




Smoked eel & Foie Gras




My opinions.
I loved my time dining here as did my husband. I can't wait to see how this restaurant flourishes in Tampa. I appreciated each and every dish. I tried some new things tonight and I tried a few things I notoriously do not like or have never liked and I liked them tonight because it's all in the way it's prepared.

The lamb which I told you all in April I have never liked and it was great here. It didn't have a game-y taste and the texture was great along with the mashed potatoes and celeriac. It had the mouth feel of duck breast and the taste of steak to me.

The smoked eel soup with Foie Gras was fantastic as well. That is my first time having eel that wasn't eel nigiri. The smokey-ness was rich and inviting and the added some unexpected texture (crunch).

I have never had beef tartar, my husband eats it. I will say this the texture, presentation, and additives (horseradish I believe) made a huge difference for me, as a first timer. I liked it and the portion was decent.

I am not going to go into detail about every single dish we had because simply that removes some of the mystery and fun for you all if you are planning to visit.

Seats are pretty limited as you can see the space is intimate. You have to make reservations and pay in advance online also. 

*UPDATE The website for booking reservations now has been updated to show two different tasting options with one at a lower price of 95$ for five tasting courses

Previously,  only one option was available when we booked. The more expensive option now lists you will have the tasting of 14 courses which varied from opening night. 


Octopus & Stawberries


Bread & butter (two different types)





Beetroot & Brown butter






Denver Sole & white asparagus & grapes







Lamb & celeriac (and mashed potatoes)





Final Course
Dessert


Rhubarb & Black Currant & sorrel




Pecan & Salt Caramel
















No comments:

Post a Comment