Saturday, June 1, 2019

Call to Action- Celiacs Awareness Month


Instead of educating people on what gluten is and why it should be taken seriously, this year I felt like why not just appeal to your human side and have an open dialogue about Celiacs Disease?

Imagine having not been able to eat something for over a decade or two or three and knowing that a restaurant (that a chef) is totally capable of making that item gluten free by just taking out a frying pan and cooking in it instead of flash frying it. Can you imagine the joy that that person will feel when it's brought to them and they taste it for the first time in so long and it brings back memories?

This year I have heard more NO's than I feel comfortable with (especially for the amount of money most places want for dinner in South Tampa) and I usually don't ask for much. For the the most part, I am a hella picky eater, I don't eat a lot of stuff including sweets. I never even ate much bread or pasta prior to finding out I had Celiacs Disease because my mom did not cook pasta very often she cooked rice. We would have sandwich night from Brocato's or the Tropicana (OMG I miss them so much) and I usually ate about half of what I was given.

As an independent adult I usually stick to pan seared seafood, a little rice, meats, veggies. I am not going to go to a restaurant that clearly has no gluten free menu or no intentions on catering to it. I don't expect that under any circumstances unless I am at a fine dining establishment.

To go to a restaurant that already has a menu that is hostile and full of gluten can be dismaying, but if I did not go out and explore I would have missed out on some great places that had dedicated fryers and rice flour and everything I needed. That is the reason why I have the Fashionable Foodiva section of my blog- because I try the restaurants and give my reviews. I also have a gluten tester which many people don't have the money to buy.

On average, my husband and I dine out 10 to 12 times a month, that is roughly every weekend which is understandable because I cook 2-3 meals a day (each) at home during the week. The weekend is my time to relax with him and have date nights. So, on the end of Celiacs Awareness month, maybe just maybe, think about what the person is missing out on and feel a little sympathy. People went gluten free to lose weight as a fad diet over 14 years ago yet it is still regarded as that.




I will tell you I got glutened by accident at an event in March- got so sick I thought I was going to have to check into the E.R. twice and lost 12 pounds over a very short two weeks period. My skin was literally sagging off my body because of the rapid weight loss. My body completely can't digest red meat and its now almost June. Every time I eat red meat I am met with immeasurable intestinal pain and its been months since this happened. It may be the end of Summer before I can have a steak which is unfortunate because I am also severely Anemic. Every time gluten is introduced into the body of someone with this autoimmune disease it destroys your stomach and it doesn't heal. So I may always have trouble digesting red meat now.

So, my call to action: Chefs and diners, friends and family... take the no gluten thing seriously. You can make someones day just to take the extra step and you may prolong their life.

I can't tell you the psychological pain I felt knowing that I ate 1 taco with out testing it  for gluten because I was told we only have corn tacos its totally safe only to find out the rest of their menu was all flour tortillas. I also drank vodka distilled from wheat and I am am not sure that it made me sick. It was rare that in the earlier days that I was a new Celiac most alcoholic  drinks caused this amount of ailment.

I watched my body deteriorate in a matter of 4 days then got sick again a week later and watched the same thing happen just because I ate red meat that I made and my kitchen is 100% gluten free. Having this autoimmune disease is so much stress on the human body and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy because the body you know completely turns on you. It is a horrible feeling. and it leads to other autoimmune diseases as well as cancer and diverticulitis. It's probably much worse when a loved one doesn't know how to help and watches.

As you can see I had a lot of extra skin hanging on my stomach and it took about a month for it all to snap back because I was so dehydrated.


Its easy for someone to judge you like you don't really need gluten free food. Let's get one thing straight: that a lot of people don't get- most food is naturally gluten free. Unless you are eating wheat, rye, or barley (or soy in some cases) its gluten free. And you have no need to feel superior or like Someone is lying- its not your business really. Gluten is being introduced by the manufacturers, and farmers, or chefs. Declining it doesn't make you a fraud or a fake. My husband is keto and I marvel at the fact that he is literally on a gluten free diet, but years ago he swore he couldn't go gluten free. How many people realize keto is just gluten free without the carbs...I am not sure that is a different story.


Take it seriously because 1 in every 133 American now has Celiacs Disease.

If you want to donate to the Celiac Disease foundation you can here, this isn't sponsored its 100% my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment