Skip to main content

City Life: February 2017: Pisces Season + My Fitness Closet






Valentines Day





Realizing ones own self: As a child I was always sickly. I was the premature baby that grew into childhood  asthma; chronic laringitis, and bronchitis, and was kept in doors if the temperature dropped below 60 degrees. I was limited on running, playing, and lifting anything.

I grew into the most stubborn teenager that even a few days after surgery, I snuck out of my bedroom window to rescue a stray cat which I named Millhouse only to be caught by my parents. As I got older, and had another surgery, I developed a hard headedness that made me feel like " I am strong, I am not weak" even if I pushed myself too hard. 

I took up Pilates and unfortunately, I did gain a lot of weight (due to Celiacs undiagnosed at the time), but the whole time I never stopped. Now, as I am nearing my 33rd birthday I am amazed because at one time I was so sick I never thought I would see 30. 


I did Pilates for 10 years and resisted yoga with a fierceness, but something inside of me was lacking and one day it just clicked. I realized, I needed yoga and it wasn't like some fad were women try to look sexy in poses. It meant I can be strong. I can do stuff that others can't and I am still sick. It may seem strange, but I guess if you have been sick all your life you would get it. Having people treat you like you could break at any minute...

Yoga opened a door for me that was never there because no one wanted me to do anything that could possibly make me sick so I remained stagnate. Ironically, I found out I probably have rheumatoid arthritis and when I was sick and stopped yoga last year  my whole body stopped. And I understood I can never stop.


Not only am I motivated, but every time I manage to do a new pose my face lights up and I think " I am strong". Always strong. I love that. I hope that you guys enjoy my journey with pilates, yoga, and calisthenics because its like nothing else to me. I meditate every day. I can't even believe it. I do yoga on vacation when I used to go on vacation and just try to recover from the beatings my body took on a daily basis. 

So, one thing I have realized is that a lot of what holds me back in yoga is fear. I can do so many poses and have no issue, but my own personal fear of hurting myself is hindering me.




FITNESS CLOSET:


I wanted to share this project that I have been working on which was my fitness closet. It consists of a few shelves in my office closet. I got a great deal on the hangers from the container store. I actually used baby hangers for my sports bras and huggable hangers for my tops and pants. Some people prefer to keep their clothes folded and in drawers, but I am a very visual person and I like to see everything at once so I can decide what I want to wear - I also have no room in my dresser. I have run out of space on that bottom shelf for my yoga pants so I came up with a cool hack below.





The hack: So I have run out of room for all of my workout gear and I had these two wooden boxes sitting around that my husbands whiskey came in. I have also seen wine packaged in wooden boxes. These boxes are sturdy and slim, so I decided to tightly roll my yoga pants and place them in there. I successfully got 17 pairs in these two boxes and I didn't have to spend any additional money!


ALL GLUTEN FREE FOODS COOKED BY MYSELF:

Baked hot wings for the superbowl


This is taco in a bowl inspired by "taco in a bag" with corn chips.

Red Thai curry soup with fresh herbs from my garden

GF- Roast chicken leg quarters with black eyed peas and rice. In this instance I boiled down my spring mix (yes, you can do that, just like greens) and ate them on the side because my own spring mix was about to expire.

A closer shot of my spring mix, they look just like collard greens or kale.


Butter peas with more spring mix and roast chicken leg quarters. I don't have butter peas very often, but they were great!


Popular posts from this blog

The Husband Tag

Hi guys! This a requested video that I am finally putting up! I hope you all enjoy it!

The YouTube Video
                                                         Husband Tag Questions

1.Where did you meet?

2.How long did you date before getting married?

3.What is your favorite feature of me?

4.Favorite Quality?

5.What is my favorite color?

6.What is my favorite food?

7.What is my favorite sports team?

8.What is my favorite t.v. show?

9.What kind of salad dressing am I most likely to get on my salad at a restaurant?

10.What food do I not like?

11.What size shoe do I wear?

12.What is my favorite type of sandwich?

13.If I could eat one thing everyday what would it be?

14.What is my favorite cereal?

15.What is my favorite music?

16.What is my eye color?

17.Who is my best friend?

18.What is something I do that you wish I wouldn't?

19.What is my heritage /where I am from?

20.Did I play any sports?

21.If you baked me a cake what kind would I like?

22.What is one unique talent I have?

  …

October Fabletics Collection: Dream Catchers

I had a lot of fun this month working out in the dream catchers" collection. I was originally drawn to this collection because of the vibrant iris color. All of the items shown below are totally unique to Fabletics meaning they have not been released in past collections. I pretty much loved everything I worked out in and everything was true to size.

This was the first month ever that Fabletics came out with a high waisted legging! They are pretty soft,  I found the fabric to be thicker than usual so this is a legging that I would wear during the cooler winter months.  I also want to note I got this legging in the 25 inch inseam. Out of all the outfits this one was probably my least favorite. The fabric seems to be twice as thick thank the fabric used on the other leggings so its not that comfortable and feels more restricting. The bra seems to be the same fabric as the bottoms. 
Next, the high waist rolls down about an inch while working out. This may not bother some people, but…

Fashion Friday: A visit to Wisteria Lane

Happy Friday everyone!!!