Saturday, March 30, 2019

New Orleans Mardi Gras Aircation- A Rocky First Day: Navy Embroidered Dress + Sandals


So, these are the photos that started an entire altercation at the JW Marriott New Orleans. It has taken me this long to get around to posting them because 1. I was still upset they ruined my birthday and 2. I was trying to give the hotel upper management a chance to rectify the issue. At this point, I don't even want to talk about it, but as someone who travels a lot and reviews restaurants and hotels I think it should be addressed. I was essentially kicked out of the hotel lobby I was staying at for my birthday because "security" did not like my camera. And to be clear I was exactly told "I could not have a professional photoshoot in the hotel unless I asked for permission from the manager OR go outside"- despite the fact nothing at all professional was happening. I went outside on my valuation because I am not begging anyone to have permission to take a photo of my dress in a hotel I paid hundreds of dollars a night to stay in. The security guard was determined to have the last word so I just told him I will definitely put this on social media and he was like ok do that!

As absurd as it seems, a lot of people are put off by my camera and think I am a model/my husband is a photographer because of the size/style/cost of my camera. The camera I use is an entry level camera  for people who are interested in photography or film videos. I actually could have gotten better shorts on my cell phone to be honest. I was 100% told I was being told to go outside because of the camera looked "too professional" and a cell phone would be no problem. This makes no sense and at no time did he ever say my camera was a security issue which is what a Twitter rep tried to say initially.

My husband was taking photos of me in my dress before dinner and the lobby was empty and we were bothering no one. Security got in my face and told me "I can't come in there having a "photoshoot" with a professional camera." Even after explaining it was my camera and we were staying at the hotel for my birthday- not professionals in any capacity the security guard continued to become combative with me and this guy was huge- like almost 7 feet and maybe more than 400 pounds and I am 5'4. 

I am never going to condone the mistreatment of women or any kind of violence against women even if it is just someone towering over you yelling and getting in your face. I felt threatened completely and it did ruin my birthday. It took several weeks for Marriott to look into the incident(s) and it was rectified. However, when I look at these photos that is what I will always remember. I have stayed at more hotels than I can count on my hands  and toes and my husbands hands and toes and most Marriott hotels. I have never been kicked outside; because of my DSLR camera much less in the cold and it was raining. 

I do not believe that was why this happened also! There was another incident the day before so don't let it fool you. The staff at this hotel is not operating in the capacity that a luxury hotel usually does. I would not tell anyone to stay here and I will address this again in my recap.


This photo is actually terrible and it is the exact moment the security guard ran out and got in my face- he never even addressed my husband who was the one who actually had the camera. Lobby was empty as you can see and we were not bothering anyone.







Below you will see the scenery changed with the photos because as I said we were kicked outside in the rain; it was 45 degrees and raining.





Sun Dress: Red Dress Boutique

Cardigan: Red Dress Boutique

Assorted jewelry: Assorted Kendra Scott

Heeled sandals: just fab


Despite what happened we had a great time exploring- the only time I felt anxiety was when I was back in the hotel. Check out my Instagram for snaps.

The Bourbon House NOLA

Gluten Free lump crab cake


Gluten free peel and eat shrimp


raw Louisiana oysters

No comments:

Post a Comment