Friday, August 3, 2018

Vacation Recap of Key West: Camera Roll


Hi loves! This recap of Key West is pretty short and sweet because we didn't do much there. We have been to Key West before and we shopped and walked around. This time we did a tour of the island which took about 2 hours at the most and then had lunch.







On the first day of our trip I treated myself to the first pedicure I have had in almost 8 years. Yes, its been that long. I used to go once a month when I was in college, but once my husband entered grad school and I lost my job I had to give up that luxury. I am in shock that its been so long. I have rheumatoid arthritis and every time I go on vacation usually the stress of the first day sends my joints and muscles into a frenzy and I endure a lot of pain, swelling, burning, itching etc. I was hoping a luxurious pedicure and hot stone massage would counter act it. It didn't, but it felt amazing!!!

                               

My husband went with me and he was highly amused at how ticklish I am on my feet. I was squirming the whole time I was getting my pedicure.


So, hubby and I found this amazing lounge that has a 360 degree view from the 14th floor. We spent every night up there drinking cocktails, talking, playing around etc. That was so fun and relaxing and the perfect way to end the day. It was ridiculously hot in Key West and just hanging out in the cool air condition and looking at the view was so needed!



If u asked me what was the best thing about my trip I would say hands down it was spending time with my husband every night with no interruptions or distractions (well we had some distractions that undoubtedly will make for funny couples stories for years to come). My hubby works insane hours and I always have to fight for some time and I got it in spades!


So in Key West we got to see more than we saw the first time, but honestly I wouldn't want to go back a third time. Unless you came here to party or snorkel it's pretty much meh in my opinion. Its beautiful, but just ok. I really wanted to get some fresh oysters- that was my goal for the day, but we gave up on that when the heat became too unbearable and we were tired of walking. That will be my one regret because we were so close to the restaurant.



So, where we were there really aren't a lot of beaches. The two that we passed have this sea grass issue that smells pretty bad so as you can see, no one is swimming. Where we docked there is a small beach, but its a military base so you can't swim there either and they don't even want you taking photos.



Ocean mural

This is where we were walking to get oysters.


                         

So, as a Celiac when I go on vacation I use 3 tools to help me find gluten free food: Google, Open Table, and Find Me Gluten Free. Find me Gluten Free is the easiest and most accurate because it is fueled by the reviews of other fellow Celiacs. I didn't bother researching Key West because I had planned on getting grilled seafood and raw oysters. Once we were on foot I just opened my app to find a restaurant closest to us with high ratings and this is where we ended up.

The Rooftop Cafe was pretty interesting in design, if it hadn't been so hot I would have gotten more photos on the balcony.The food was pretty good and so was the service. They have a menu with GF markings on it. The conch soup was to die for! I wasn't expecting much from it, but the flavor was great and it was nice and spicy which is why I loved it.





This is all one tree in all three photos, its just really huge and old.
                       













                            

No comments:

Post a Comment