Friday, May 6, 2016

Where Have I Been? Dealing w A Tender Head & Itchy Scalp & Celiacs Disease



            

In today's video I wanted to talk about something I deal with everyday that affects my hair and skin. My autoimmune disease Dermatitis Herpetformis which is one that I developed in lieu of also having Celiacs Disease. Celiacs disease is a genetic autoimmune disease in which the body can not digest gluten a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. 

DH or Dermatitis Herpeetfirmis is the manifestation of Celiacs on the skin. Basically, for me, my skin itches all the time all over, but particularly worse on my scalp anywhere else and particularly worse if I have ingested gluten.

The itching can be reduced by maintaining a gluten free diet, however, for me I tend to still have some mild itching some days.

Many people ask me about what to do when they have an itchy scalp. First, I tell them see a dermatologist. In the past I really haven't offered more of a solution other than that because I never had to deal with a chronically itchy scalp until September of last year. So, I decided to share this video because maybe some of my non medicinal methods may help someone and it's Celiacs Awareness Month!

Ones thing I forgot to mention in the video: I know we love our bonnets, but sometimes just sleeping without it on a satin lined pillowcase will let your scalp breath and it really does help!

I tried to be pretty thorough in the video however, I may have left out some info. I plan on filming a follow up video in the future to address or demonstrate some things I talked about today so don't fret.

For now, here is a list of hair products I love to use that do not irritate my scalp and they reduce itching and by what I can tell are gluten free.

Shea moisture Superfruit Complex Shampoo and Conditioner.

Coco Conscious Collective curly concoctions and straight transformations most products are certified organic or in the process here.

Giovanni (I have used the Direct products and the Avacado and Olive Oil line).

Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner.

Taliah Waajid Shea Coco line 97-100 percent natural.

And Garnier Fructise products which you can find gluten info on their website, but it should be clearly listed in their containers.

You can find a list here of products that have gluten, but are labeled in names other than just gluten, wheat, wheat protein etc. I use this list to check my products before I use them.


As for tender headedness: I did forget to mention I only finger rectangle because of this. I hate using combs and I rarely use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment